While wearing braces, you will need to stay away from certain foods to avoid bending or breaking your wires and braces.
Following these simple instructions can decrease the risk of breakage.
- Stay away from sticky foods such as gum, caramels and taffy.
- Cut up fruits and vegetables, such as apples, pears, carrots, etc.
- Try to stay away from corn chips, pretzels, hard pizza crusts, popcorn, hard cookies, crackers, etc. If you are going to eat any of the above, break them up into as small of pieces as possible before eating.
- No hard candies, suckers, jaw breakers or nuts.
- No chewing on ice cubes or pencils.
- Absolutely no carbonated beverages (soda pop) or acid-based juices (orange juice, grapefruit juice, lemonade, etc.)
Broken appliances can prolong your treatment time and lead to scheduling extra appointments, which your parent and teacher are NOT going to like. Think of how many people you inconvenience when an extra appointment has to be scheduled due to eating the wrong foods.